CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Abandonment Issues

While we were at church on Sunday I noticed Reynaldo was crying during worship service. He had been a little weepy the past few days because we are in the middle of switching his meds. When I asked him what was wrong he asked me if I will be his mommy forever even when he is grown up and has his own children. It made me cry because he was very upset and you could tell this was something he had been worrying about. I told him I would ALWAYS be his mommy and went on to explain how my mommy is still my mommy. I gave him a big hug and he seemed to feel better. This made me see that he really is having some abandonment issues. I didn't see how he could because we got him at nine months but we were also his fourth placement. He says to me sometimes that he misses his birth mom. He actually only met her a few times and never lived with her. I think it is the whole concept though. Like maybe a guilt thing that he feels like he should miss her. He has always been an emotional and deep feeling child. He will also say that he misses his sister. He has always been very clingy and attached to me and gets upset when I leave him. When I come back he hugs me hard and doesn't want to let go. He tells me he misses me so much. That is also why it is hard for him when he has people in his life and then he doesn't see them anymore. He feels like they don't love him anymore. This has happened several times and I just don't know how to help him with that. I have tried to explain it to other people but they just don't seem to get it or they just don't care. I can't protect him all his life but I can try my darnedest to not let people do that to him.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Oh Man! That is sad, but I truly understand it. I think all adopted children deal with abandonment (sp?) issues in different ways. Your his Mamma - you do whats best for him - you are the only one that knows best! I wish that I could help you more. I think just always being there and always coming back over time he will see that he can fully trust you in all that you say!

Anonymous said...

I wish there was an instant cure for Reynaldo's abandoment issue but all we can do is love him. It will click for him one day how much he was is and always will be loved.

Desiree's Daily Life said...

Please give Rey a huge hug and kiss from his "auntie" Desiree. I am so sorry to hear this, but at least he is coming forward now with how he is feeling inside, that way you (and daddy) can provide him with the help and reassurance that he needs right now.